Duration: 4 Days
Difficulty Level: Challenging
Itinerary Choquequirao Trek
Day 1: Cusco – Cachora – Chiquisca
We leave Cusco around 5:00 AM and drive for four hours towards the Andean community of Cachora. Along the way, we will stop at Tarawasi, a site where Incan ceremonies and celebrations to Mother Earth were conducted. We leave Tarawasi and continue to Saywite. Here we find the famous Inca rock that was believed to be the construction plan for the Tahuantinsuyo Empire. At this rock we will see carvings of animals representing the main deities. From Saywite, we continue on for half an hour to Cachora (2,800 m/9,184 ft) for breakfast. After breakfast we begin a two and a half hour hike towards Abra Capuliyoc (2,750 m/9,020 ft) Here we enjoy beautiful views of the surrounding mountains of Choquequirao Trek and the Apurimac River Canyon. We then continue descending for two hours towards Chiquisca, where we eat dinner and spend the night.
Day 2: Chiquisca – Choquequirao
We leave Chiquisca around 6:00 AM to hike for an hour to Rosalina Beach. We then cross the Apurimac River and start hiking towards Santa Rosa. This climb is a series of switchbacks up a steep slope and will take approximately two hours. In Santa Rosa, we break for 90 minutes. Afterwards, we hike for two and a half hours until we reach our lunch spot in Marampata. From here we walk another two hours until we reach the archaeological complex of Choquequirao Trek (3,103 m/10,178 ft) where we will enjoy some free time to explore the terraces and buildings. When the sun starts to set, you can sit and enjoy the canyon. Condors are often spotted here.
Day 3: Choquequirao – Hacienda San Ignacio – Tambobamba
After breakfast we’ll return to the ruins and with a little luck get to see the flight of the condors in the Apurimac Canyon. We will begin the return toward Tambobamba and we will stop at the former estate San Ignacio, where we will rest and have lunch. Then we’ll follow the road to the hostel and arrive at 5:30 pm approx. Welcome cocktail, dinner and overnight stay.
Day 4: Tambobamba – Cusco
After breakfast we have the morning free. We can make time to visit the nearby small processing plant of rum (distilled from sugar cane), or take a walk to the former estate of Tambobamba. An alternative, we can play some indoor games (such as table soccer, “toad “and others) or relax in a hammock while waiting on lunch to be served. Then we will board the bus to Cusco, arriving approximately 5 hours later.
Campsites are subject to change according to our guide’s professional discretion and hiker progress.
Included in Choquequirao Trek:
- Professional, bilingual tour guide.
- Round trip Transfer from Cusco Hotel, to Cachora.
- 6 nights in spacious personal tents and inflatable mattress.
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes while hiking.
- Excellent Meals (3 Breakfast, 3 Lunch, 3 Dinner).
- Food includes pancakes, omelettes, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking.
- Horsemen with packhorse or mules(for carring camping equipment and up to 8kg of your personal belongings).
- Dinning tent.
- sanitary services.
- Entrance fee to Choquequirao Trek Inca Site.
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Sleeping bag rental, $18.00
- Breakfast on Day 1 and dinner on Day 4
- 1 extra horse to carry personal items, $30.00 per day
- Walking sticks, $8.00
We recommend you bring:
- Original passport (and *International Student card (ISIC), if applicable)
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended but not required)
- Sleeping bag (also can be rented from us)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream (SPF 35 or higher recommended)
- Insect repellent
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container or a hydration pack such as Camelbak
- Water (only for first 4 hours of trek, then we will provide you with previously-boiled drinking water throughout the trek)
- Toiletries (including toilet paper)
- Personal medication
- Torch with spare batteries (headlamps are useful)
- Cash in local currency (Peruvian Soles) for tips
Prices for Choquequirao Trek
- 1 person $655 per person
- 2 people $545 per person
- 3 people $515 per person
- 4 people $490 per person
- 5 people $465 per person
- 6 + people $450 per person
Personal porter included!
***This price includes the extra porter who will carry your belongings up to 7 kgs, we will provide you a duffle bag you can put your things.
***We provide large Eureka 4 man tents for each 2 trekkers.
- Under 18 years old: US$20 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$20. – All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$15 per pair per trek
- Air Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$35
Booking Form for Choquequirao Trek
Please fill the form to complete your reservation