Itinerary Classic Salkantay Trek 5 Days
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
For Salkantay Trek we will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco from 5: 00 am to 5:30 am to go by bus to Mollepata. Begin a spectacular scenic drive through the Anta plains with beautiful and panoramic views of the majestic Salkantay and other mountains covered with snow, and the Valley of Apurimac River. After two and a half hours drive we stop in Mollepata, to have breakfast for last minute supplies, leg-stretching or to use the bathrooms, before continuing to challacancha,There we will meet with our support staff. They will load the equipment on horses and mules. Around 9:30 a.m. we will star our trek toward Soraypampa (3900 meters above sea level) if we keep a regular pace we will take 3 hours approximately to reach to Soraypampa the first camp site where will have lunch, after meals in the afternoon we have an option to go up to Umantay lake (4200masl) which takes 3 hours up and down from the camp to see the glacier lake of Umantay.
We sleep in shelters, will be ready and warm delicious dinner in the evening.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner
Maximum Altitude: 3850 masl
Minimum Altitude: 2850 masl
Distance Travelled: 7 km approx
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – HUAYRAMACHAY – CHAULLAY
Today early in the morning we will wake you up with the coca tea. Around 5:00 we will have a nutritious breakfast around 6:00 am we will start the hardest day of the whole Salkantay trek; we will be walking up to the highest point of the trek. After 6 kilometers uphill through the magnificent scenery of Rocky Mountains and enjoying the view of Salkantay mountain. We reach the top of the trek. We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay (6264 meters above sea level) which is known as the second highest mountain of the Cusco region. After 2 hours downhill around 1:00 p.m. we will have our delicious Peruvian lunch, in the area called Huayracmachay. Then we continue our hike to Chaullay approximately 3 hours of downhill we will get to our camp in Chaullay = 2900 masl Where we will have the sleeping tents ready. Around 7: 00 pm we will have dinner to recover energy from the trek.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Maximum Altitude: 4650 masl
Minimum Altitude: 2920 masl
Distance Travelled: 22km to Chaullay
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – COLLPAPAMPA – LA PLAYA – SANTA TERESA
Around 7:00 am; we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We will hike 5 hours approximately during the hike will see: water fall, orchids, coffee, banana, avocado plantations and we will taste the famous passion fruit or granadilla and also we will see a village call Colpapampa also call the “forest cloudy brow” where waterfalls, thermal hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks”. After lunch at La playa, we will catch a local transportation to Santa Teresa. Where will have aur overnight ,in the afternoon we may go to Santa Teresa´s hot spring to enjoy it. Then back at the campsite for happy hours and dinner.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Maximum Altitude: 2920 masl
Minimum Altitude: 2350 masl
Distance Travelled: Approx 14km
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA – HIDROELECTRYC – AGUAS CALIENTES
After our delicious breakfast we are going to walk approximately 5 hours. Around 8:30 a.m. we start our trek to Colpani village we will have the opportunity to see coca farms, mandarin, orange and yucca. And a lovely view of the Santa Teresa Valley. We follow along the riverside of Vilcanota River until arrive to the Oroya (cable bridge) then we keep going to Hidroelectrica where will have our lunch. After lunch we going to walk along the train track but on the base of Machupicchu and Waynapicchu Mountain from the way we will see Machupicchu. After two a half hours hike we will be at Aguas Calientes town: base town of Machupicchu for overnight in the hotel and dinner at the local restaurant.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Overnight: in Aguas Calientes at the hotel which included in the package.
Maximum Altitude: 2350 masl
Minimum Altitude: 2000 masl
Distance Travelled: 10km aprox.
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
Today early in the morning after breakfast at the hotel you will be able to choose between. Walk up to Machupicchu. Or take bus up to Machupicchu. Any way we will be the first ones into Machupicchu to enjoy the sunrise and you will have two a hours guided tour. Then you will have the free time to explore Machupicchu by yourselves or if you desire, ascent toward the Huaynapicchu Mountain. Or climb to Machupicchu montaña. After Machupicchu you are going back to Aguas Calientes to take a train to Ollantaytambo and from there by bus back to Cusco.
Optional 6 hours minivan from hidroelectrica to cusco.
The bus drops you off at your hotel in Cusco.
WHAT IS INCLUDED in Salkantay Trek:
- Pre-departure briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to mollepata (starting point of the trek)
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks.
- One sleeping pad per person
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Kitchen tent
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide (2 guides for groups of over 10 people)
- 1 night accomodation in Aguas Calientes
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment) – days 1 to 4
- Pack animals to carry personal gear up to a maximum of 5kg per person days 1 to 4
- 1 emergency horse every 10 persons – days 1 to 3
- Accommodation for all our staff
- Meals (04B, 04L, 04D + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost.
- Filtered boiled water from lunch time on 1st day onwards
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Bio-degradable dishwashing detergents used by our kitchen staff
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Machupicchu entrance fee
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to ollantaytambo (Expedition, Vistadome or Hiram Bingham service, upon request) (*)Then bus to cusco.
- 24-h guest service: please ask for the emergency number available during your time of visit
WHAT ISN´T INCLUDED:
- Lunch on the last day after the guided tour at Machu Picchu
- Walking Sticks $15 usd one pair the all trip.
- Sleeping bag per person: our sleeping bags are -20ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips— $ 20 usd the all trip.
Optional and Rentals?
- Extra night in Aguas Calientes $40 (or email us for alternate options). We will just need to arrange your train back to Cusco for the following day.
- Please tell us before final booking process.
- Personal horse and horsemen for riding or carrying extra personal belongings while on the trek, $120 for the trek.
- Therm-a-rest inflatable sleeping pad rent: US$ 5.00 per day
- Entrance to the Hot Springs in Cocalmayo
Recommendations (Optional Services):
- Original passport and Student Card from your University
- Insurance card is essential
- Hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Sleeping bag
- Warm jack
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Rain pants
- Sun hat, Bathing suit (for hot springs in santa teresa and Aguas Calientes)
- Sun protection cream ( factor 35 recommended ) sun is strong
- Insect Repellent 40 % deet ( for mosquitos )
- Water bottle
- Water purification tablets (Micropur recommended)
- Toilet paper
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Torch with spare batteries (flashlight)
- Extra contribution suggested money for tipping porters, cook and guide. and for any emergency (300 soles)
- Walking poles ( black diamont or leki brand)
Optional items to take
- Short pants
- Walking poles (with rubber tips) they can also be hired from us.$15 usd the all trip.
- Sleeping bags $20 usd the all trip.
- Plaster and bandage.
Group Services Salkantay Trek 5 Days
- By Car
Student: US $180
Adult: US $200
- By Train
Student: US $ 260
Adult: US $ 280
Private Service Salkantay Trek 5 Days
- US $550 per person (Min: 2 Pax – Max:10 Pax) via Llactapata
Additional/Extras NOT Included (Need to book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 20.00
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 20.00
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD 50.00
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired.
- Extra horse to ride or for any extra backpack.$ 90 usd 3 days.(you can share with other person)
- Sleeping Bag US$20
- Walking Pole US$10
- Inflatable Mattress US$15
- Single Tent Supplement US$20
Booking Form Salkantay Trek 5 Days
Please fill the form to complete your reservation